Take a look below for a potted history on our group.
1931 Group was formed at the Baptist Church and registered as 25th. South Croydon (2nd Selsdon) on 24 August 1931. Some of the names of Scouts around at that time were Arthur Kent, Ron Briggs, Norman Clarke, Messrs Harrison, Porter and Saville.
1933 Group name re-registered as the 33rd Croydon (2nd Selsdon) on 17 February 1933. Control by the Deacons was resisted so that the Group could remain an ‘Open’ Group as it is today. Troop and Pacl colours dedicated at the Baptist Church, on 2nd april. The pack and troop meetings were held at Selsdon Primary School.
1939 The Rover Crew was formed with 12 members. also at that time there were 50 Boy Scouts and 50 Wolf Cubs. However at the outbreak of the second World War the leaders went off on active service so the pack had to close, the troop continued under the P/Ls.
1943 Due to the large number of boys attending troop meetings, the cubs restarted.
1948 The group moved its headquarters to the youth hut which was in the grounds of the school, this continued up until 1952. 1948 also saw the start of the Senior Scouts.
1962 Two Wooden Huts were erected at the top end of the school field, the “Quest” was born.
1966 Group title changed to 2nd Selsdon and Addington (33rd Croydon) on 29th March.
1970 The second Cub Scout pack started. Tarka invented the Vulture Patrol for adults who had given special help to the Group.
1974 Douglas Hall opened, which was name after Cub Scout Douglas Buckett who unfortunately died of leukaemia aged 10.
1977 The Group numbered 114 members, Cub camp was held at Coombe Farm with 52 assorted bodies under canvas. The Troop entered two Patrols into the District Camp Competition and came 1st & 3rd and then went on to represent the District in the County Competition.
1982 The Troop had 50 boys, the three packs had approximately 30 in each, and the Venture Unit numbered 16. Ian Barlow went to the World Jamboree in Norway representing the District. Richard Waple joined a party to hike across the High Sierra range of mountains in the USA.
1985 A Beaver Colony started with 20 boys
1986 The “Quest” was burnt to the ground one Wednesday but the Troop still went away to camp as planned two days later, with borrowed equipment from various sources. The Group carried on meeting at a number of locations in the area.
1988 At an emotional ceremony in June, the Quest was officially reopened by the County Commissioner, Dean Sutton, the main hall was renamed “The New Douglas Hall”.
1990 The Group comprised of a Beaver Colony of 20 boys, three Cubs Packs of 24 boys, a Scout Troop of 36 boys, and a Venture UNit of 10 lads. Tarka’s Vulture Patrol numbered 30.